FMP 8- Props 2

 Texturing props is always a relief after the arduous task of unwrapping, and this week was no different. The props I made the previous week (plus a few extra clutter props) have a solid initial texture pass, which I will add finer details to depending on feedback. I did have to go back and fix some UVs; this was mainly for the lecturn and to add smaller props to existing texture sheets. 


I reused the same wood material for each prop, but with a slightly different gradient. Victorian wood is warmer than the wood I made, but I desaturated it to go with the general washed out spooky look. The metal sections are made of brass, as it was commonly during the Victorian period. 


The desk is separated into two materials to keep texel density consistent, with each book filling the remaining UV space in each. I used Photoshop to create the decoration for the book, as there are better symmetry options and drawing tools. For most metal objects I used a metal edge wear as an anchor point, and built the surface up from there. The book texture was difficult to replicate as the resolution wasn't enough to get a high level of detail, but I used a weave pattern with a high tiling frequency with a levelled lighter colour on top to imply similar detailing. 


The lecturn required frequent fixes to the unwrap and bake, but it has more efficient UVs because of it. These props use the same processes as before, and the chalkboard involved many rough grunge fill layers and slight colour variation between blacks and dark greens. It was difficult to make the drawings look convincingly smudged-chalky, and I eventually achieved this with warps, blurs and the smudge tool.

  

The wall props were mainly posters, so I used faint folds for the normals, cloud fills with a slightly varying gradient and hand-painted opacity maps. The diagrams are from Google, and the wet stains are also hand-painted, with a bevel to darken the edges, 



Comments

Popular Posts